Friday, August 1, 2008

Blog: Image Maps and Slices

I wanted to have an idea of what I was looking for, so I decided to research navigation. I did a google on "navigation using slices" and found this tutorial. I really wanted to try it, but will do so later.

I found this explanation at Adobe that was helpful in regards to using Fireworks to create slices. It also had a good explanation of the difference between hotspots and slices.

Here are the three sites that I visited that use graphics for navigation.

1. Family Fun It appears that Family Fun is using slices to create their navigation. I am finding tables that contain graphics when I view the source code. This is an indicator of slices, according to the Adobe reference that I listed above.

2. The Fifty States Finally. I found a sight that I am pretty sure uses hotspots, since they have broken up a US map into various links. When I view the source code, I found a huge list of the polygon coordinates that broke up the original gif.

3. Barnes and Noble I did find a table that included images, which is an indication of slices. While searching the code, I discovered that B&N had a hotspots for "This Hour's Best Sellers" and a "MemberMap". I have a feeling that B&N is using slices without tables in some areas, since I am seeing rollovers occurring without tables. I don't know enough about this. So if you know, tell me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Determining hotspots is easy because for one to exist there has to be an AREA tag defining a bunch of hotspot shapes (as you saw in the fifty states site). If you see that it is hotspots.. if you don't it is probably slices, UNLESS there is no table in which case it is a basic kind of rollover. If you are changing the whole image then you don't really have to have a table.

The B&N site is, as you guessed, using both hotspots and some slices/rollovers...