Monday, August 4, 2008

Blog: Exporting, Hotspots, Slices

Hotspots and slices only work if they are exported correctly... and images won't look good if they aren't exported and optimized properly. What part of this lesson made the least sense? What part was too obvious?

I could not get "Quick Export" to work correctly with FireWorks 9.0. It was trying to find additional HTML files in a default location and I was not able to fix it (I will try again later). Therefore I was not able to view my linked HTML with my browsers using "Quick Export". That seems like a nice feature, so I'm going to work on getting it going.

Another surprise was that FireFox and IE displayed the HTML files differently if they were stored on my PC. FireFox was picking up the links for my home_page_l8.htm that IE was not able to find. Once I put uploaded all the files onto the server, I was able to view the linked HTML files in both IE and FireFox.

I guess the obvious part of this lesson is that if you are going to shrink your file size, you are going to lose out on quality. The parts that made the least sense are the ones that I mentioned previous paragraphs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I rarely (basically never) use the quick export feature. With a more specific error message or name of file(s) it is looking for I might be able to help.

IE is well-known for its incompatibilities, though mostly with version 7. This can also be related to the links being "relative" or not, which is an option when they are created. This can make a link work on the web server, but not locally.