Friday, July 11, 2008

Blog: Table-Based Design

Take a look back at each of the sites you chose as examples of good design. Is their design based on tables? Styles? Both? How about your blog itself?

Why do you think so many sites still use tables for layout even today?


I can't wait to learn more about CSS for page layout! I guess so many sites still use tables for layout because the work is done and they don't want to redo everything that already works. Maybe they already have determined how they are going to layout pages and it would be hard to make/convince everyone switch to a new format. Perhaps there will be more motivation to get rid of tables as more people invest in iphones and such. And that time seems to be coming rather quickly.

I changed my blog layout after a previous lesson and it looks like it doesn't use tables! Very cool. I noticed that the Web Design Library site that I liked uses tables and CSS. QVC uses only CSS and no tables (at least their index page doesn't). I don't know why I liked the Web Design Library. Today it looks too blue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are certainly good designs being used that use only tables or tables with CSS... but for many sites, once you learn how to use CSS for layout, dealing with tables becomes painfully slow and complex.