Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Blog: Reflection #1

Take a few minutes to reflect on what you have learned and done in this class so far. Where could the materials or directions be improved?

If you are new to web publishing, what was harder than expected? What was easier? If you've done this kind of thing before, what do you differently? Include both your first experiences with Dreamweaver and blogging.


I am new to web publishing and I must say that working with Dreamweaver isn't as difficult as getting the material that I need to make my pages sorta like the way I want to. I spent most of my time working with Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0! I also spent a great deal of time trying to figure out how to layout my pages using my current Dreamweaver knowledge.

In regards to class, I am seeing how being a classroom setting might be better. I find that I tend to wait for a grade before I move onto my next assignment. Now I am making myself continue on without grade feedback, otherwise I would not keep on track with the due dates.

In regards to blogging, my reason to use a blog is for CIOS256. For fun, I do share pictures with family. This does not mean that I do not read information online and keep up to date on topics that I'm interested in. I will note that I should check out the other CIOS256 blogs and make extra blog entries that relate to this class.

I can see why business or individual would want to keep a blog. It is a great tool to encourage readers to leave feedback and engage them. My best friend (Kert the Artist) says she uses blogs in her high school classes with success.

I normally do not need to communicate via blog to reach an audience. I use forums. This enables me to browse a variety of topics quickly and also see what people have to say. I am also able to ask questions and receive a wide variety of response fairly quick.

2 comments:

Pipa said...

I agree with appreciating the classroom setting. My reason is because I do ask a lot of questions and clarifications especially when I hit a wall... and not having that instant answer slows me down... I am trying to keep afloat but barely.

Anonymous said...

There is an important independent element to working on a class like this that suits some people more than others. That being said, I do try to provide IM as an avenue for instant answers, though in the summer it is harder for me to be available that way all the time.

Forums are a great tool for communication, but they are more directed and less customizable. So they meet some of the same needs as blogs, but not all. They each are suited to some tasks better than others... but it's good to be familiar with them.

Once you learn the basics of getting items onto pages and in basically the place you want, then it becomes more about design and creating graphical elements and a layout that works for your site... and, of course, this is just an absolute beginner's intro to a lot of concepts that someone designing a site needs to move on and learn about, including more advanced CSS and usability/readability...